Re: svn icons in the toolbar

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: svn icons in the toolbar
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 08:17:49 +0200

Stephen Berman skrev:

I see that the Tango Standard Icon Naming Specification proposes a
classification of icon types and standard icon names that KDE and
GNOME both more or less use.  What I don't see in KDE is any naming
scheme like GNOME's stock* or gtk* icons.  It looks like these are
often aliases for icon names conforming to the Tango Standard Icon
Naming Specification.  I don't know what criteria GNOME uses to call
certain icons stock icons, nor just what role these play in the GNOME
icon API.

I guess that it is being present in Gtk+ that makes them "stock".

The Tango website also says: "In the short term, existing
KDE and GNOME icons names will be addressed using symlinks. We have
prepared a script which automatically generates appropriate symlinks
for existing naming schemes in GNOME and KDE so that compatibility
with current desktop applications will be preserved."  I have no idea
if this makes sense, but maybe this script could somehow be used or
adapted by Emacs to map GTK+ to Qt/KDE icons.

Would it not be better to figure out a set of named icons that either can be used on both KDE and Gnome (I guess this is what Tango is about) or add a KDE specific set of names to Emacs? Users can then select to use the KDE names if they run KDE.

        Jan D.