RE: 23.0.50; face-problems with multy-tty

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: 23.0.50; face-problems with multy-tty
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 17:22:12 -0700

>       (set-face-attribute 'font-lock-string-face nil :foreground "yellow")
>
>       (custom-set-faces
>        '(font-lock-string-face
>          ((((class color) (background light)) (:foreground "red"))
>           (((class color) (background dark)) (:foreground "blue")))))
>
>       ;; `C-x 5 2' uses a yellow font-lock-string-face.
>
> Another consistent possibility is that the new-frame default face
> attributes and face customizations have the same precedence.  But the
> only consistent way to do that is if each one erases the other, so you
> can only have one of them.  So if you customize the face, that clears
> out all new-frame default face attributes, and if you set a new-frame
> default face attribute, that clears the customization.

That way would seem correct (natural) to me. Why should either prevent the
effect of the other, if the other comes later? Why would set-face-attribute
have higher priority?

Are there rules defined for this, or is this the first discussion? I'd say
keep it simple: the latest modification wins, however it is made.

[I did not follow the whole thread, so ignore if I'm missing something.]