Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 00:33:01 +0200

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> As I understand, there are two goals (not necessarily contradicting)
> we are trying to achieve now:
>
> 1. Bring the information about Emacs and the GNU project to beginners
>    in a way that is hard to miss.

So maybe we should display the splash screen only on non-GNU systems :-)

If I installed Emacs on GNU/Linux, Emacs doesn't have to go out of its
tell me about GNU.

> 2. Do this in a way that makes no harm to non-beginners.

Maybe the splash screen on M$ Windoze should read something like this:

  You are currently using a non-free operating system that is specifically
  designed to take away your freedom and put restrictions on what you can
  and cannot do with your computer.

  However, by starting GNU Emacs, you have entered the GNU project's world
  of free software, where the GNU Public License (GPL) protects your freedom
  to use, modify, and distribute software.

  For more information about the GNU project, type C-h C-p