Re: generate 3) S-mouse-2: follow link in new window

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: generate 3) S-mouse-2: follow link in new window
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 15:00:02 +0300

> 3. It would also be helpful to bind `S-mouse-2' in Info to a command that
> follows an Info link in a new window.

Or better to use bindings like in Web browsers: `S-mouse-1' to follow
a link in a new frame, `C-mouse-1' to follow a link in a new window
(or a tab when tabs will be implemented in Emacs).

> That way, a user could keep the `L' or the `I' buffer (or a TOC or an
> index or any other node) open while visiting its links in another window
> (or frame, with non-nil pop-up-frames).
>
> I have used this definition:
>
> (defun Info-mouse-follow-nearest-node-new-window (click)
>     "Open the link at the mouse pointer in a new window."
>     (interactive "e")
>     (Info-mouse-follow-nearest-node click t)) ; t no good now
>
> But that particular implementation no longer works, because someone over the
> course of Emacs 22 development removed the optional FORK argument to
> `Info-follow-nearest-node' and `Info-mouse-follow-nearest-node'. (Why?)

`Info-mouse-follow-nearest-node' never had the FORK argument.
`Info-follow-nearest-node' still has it, but there were plans to remove it.

> Regardless of how it is implemented, it would be useful. You can do the same
> thing by cloning the buffer and then following a link, but it is particulaly
> handy to do this with just a mouse click.

This is a question of implementation.  We can implement a command that
will clone the current manual, follow the requested node in a new copy,
and display it accordingly to the command arguments.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/