Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Manoj Srivastava
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 14:28:26 -0500

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 20:35:58 +0200, David Kastrup <address@hidden> said:

> Manoj Srivastava <address@hidden> writes:
>> On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 13:16:16 +0200, Kim F Storm <address@hidden> said:
>>
>>> AFAICS, the only thing we can do to prevent that is to find a
>>> reasonably non-annoying way to "say what we want to say".
>>
>> I am not sure I understand this viewpoint. I have been using Emacs
>> since '88, so I am pretty "seasoned" -- but I don't seem to see the
>> issue you are raising; and I am wondering if we are looking at the
>> same thing.

> Just to make sure we are: we are talking about the case where Emacs is
> called with explicit file names given on the command line and instead
> of displaying those files displays the splash screen.

>> What I saw was a splash screen -- but it came with a nice _dismiss_
>> button, and even a checkbox that said "don't show this again".  This
>> is not much of an annoyance -- since it only ever appears once,

> Per session.

        Hmm. I am seeing two different behaviours here, which might be
 the cause of some confusion.  When I just call:
  % emacs /tmp/foo.sh
 I get a split screen; the top half has a splash screen, with these
 lines at the bottom:
If an Emacs session crashed recently, type Meta-x recover-session RET
to recover the files you were editing.

Dismiss   [] Don't show this message again.
 The bottom half has the /tmp/foo.sh buffer.

        I imagine that if I check the box, and then it dismiss, I'll
 never see the splash again.

        Now, if I start emacs -nw,
  % emacs -nw /tmp/bar.sh
 I am still getting the split again, except that there does not seem to
 be a dismiss button, nor is there a checkbox.

        So, I find the X based splash screen not to be an annoyance; but
 I do find the emacs -nw splash screen deficient.

        This is the latest CVS emacs in Miles Bader's GNU/Arch mirror.

        Is this the behaviour you see?

>> As someone who has influence with one of the much despised GNU/Linux
>> distribution makers, I can say your fears are somewhat overblown.

> As long as we are talking about the same thing.  Are we?

        Well, I think turning off the splash screen for Debian is not
 something that will happen very readily.

        manoj
--
On-line, adj.: The idea that a human being should always be accessible
to a computer.