Re: Horizontal Scroll bar and linum

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Horizontal Scroll bar and linum
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 07:49:43 +0200

<address@hidden> writes:

> Horizontal Scroll bar and linum are two basic features that most of
> editors have but are missing in GNU Emacs. I think many people like
> these two features very much. Now we already have linum.el for the
> line number feature and work quite well. And can somebody can also
> provide a patch to add the Horizontal scroll bar (or maybe port this
> feature from XEmacs?).

Actually, I think we should first get vertical scroll bars (and
scroll-up/scroll-down) to get a reasonably good job at providing a
smooth scroll experience in the presence of tall lines/images.

While we are at the point where there is some sort of guarantee to go
in the general intended direction (there had been looping a lot in
Emacs 21), the amounts of scrolling are somewhat hard to control.