Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 16:02:32 -0400

> I still don't see why we cannot simply output a (possibly rather
> verbose) message in the echo area when emacs is started with a file
> name arg.

I'd be willing to live with a split screen:
- without any option, show the full startup screen, of course: there's no
  disagreement on this, AFAIK.
- with a file option (or some other related option such as "-f gnus"), do
  show the file, but show also an extra startup screen in
  a separate window.  Since the normal startup screen takes up too much
  space for this use, we'd need a shorter version of the startup screen with
  a button that you click to say "show me the full screen".

It's a lot more obstructive than the echo-area version, so Richard would
probably prefer it (I'd prefer the echo-area version).

        Stefan