Re: something like linum.el ought to be added

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: something like linum.el ought to be added
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:17:23 -0400

>> I think that means we need to add a suitable hook which redisplay can
>> call to inform Lisp code that visibility changes may have altered the
>> position of the bottom of the window.

>     OTOH, using jit-lock would make this unnecessary.

> jit-lock implements a specific functionality, fontification, and
> nothing else.

Not exactly.  It turns the low-level fontification-function functionality
into a higher-level one that can then be used by font-lock to
do fontification.  It can also be used by other packages to do other things
(e.g. glasses-mode).

> I thought that the hooks used by jit-lock ought to be sufficient
> for linum as well.  But it turns out they are not, because
> the code to run Vfontification_functions checks specifically
> for the `fontified' property.

I believe they are sufficient, but jit-lock needs to be extended to offer the
feature required by linum.el.

        Stefan