Re: font-backend mechanism on Windows and Mac?

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: font-backend mechanism on Windows and Mac?
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 00:36:23 +0900 (JST)

> YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu wrote:
>> Even with backing store, calls to drawRect:, which corresponds to
>> the handler for expose events, occur when dragging the resize
>> handle or just before the animation for deiconifying.  I can
>> observe whiteout during such operations on the Cocoa port, but not
>> on the Carbon+AppKit port where the method is implemented as
>> follows:

> This whiteout may be due to the performance problems I observed in
> the new font backend, rather than the differences in implementation
> of drawRect between Carbon and Cocoa ports.

Not "Carbon port" but "Carbon+AppKit port".  The method `drawRect:' is
used in the AppKit framework, which is a part of Cocoa.

I just tried changing the implementation of `drawRect:' so it calls
expose_frame, then the latter (deiconifying animation) whiteout
disappeared.  Fixing the former whiteout would need more work, but I
suspect this is not due to some performance issue: I don't find the
Cocoa port slow in drawing.

> Or has the Carbon port been updated to use the font backend as well?

I don't have a plan to do so at least until the next Mac OS X release,
which brings us a new framework for text drawing.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden