Re: emacs.git mirror status

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: emacs.git mirror status
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 13:47:37 +0200

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

>> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Well, if I use something like
>>>
>>> git-gui --blame src/xterm.c
>>>
>>> in the trunk, it is still Miles who indiscriminately gets all the
>>> blame for multi-tty.
>>
>> Ok, the problem is that I didn't match the log message from the big
>> multi-tty merge last May.
>
> Looking closer, this wasn't a merge, but an import.  So the history is
> lost, unfortunately.

For git, the sole difference between a merge and an import is that the
former has the branch as a parent commit.  All the other history is
reconstructed by git on the fly rather than tracked.  So just
redeclaring the respective CVS checkins (which can be discerned by the
log messages) as merges from the respective branch commit should be
sufficient to let git figure out the corresponding original checkins
in the branch.

--
David Kastrup