Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 02:48:27 +0300

>     I would like to have the old behavior back:  if a file name was given
>     on the command line the user definitely wants to edit that file, and
>     so any editing/movement/redraw command should switch to that files
>     buffer immediately.
>
> I changed this because I want beginners to see the splash screen,
> and beginners often have the habit of passing a file name.

Most beginners start Emacs from a menu on modern desktop environments
nowadays.  Beginners that manage to start Emacs from the command line with
a file name are smart enough to figure out where to find the necessary
help.  Due to a good established convention that the Help menu on the
right side of the menu bar contains menu items that help learning the
program, this is how most users get acquainted with a new program.

Furthermore, since now the About screen shares much help information with
the startup screen (links to the Emacs tutorial, Emacs Guided Tour, etc.),
any beginner can now find this information.  So even a very small percent
of beginners started Emacs with a file name will be able to get help.

OTOH, the current behavior is very annoying for all non-beginners.
This is like visiting a Web site where the first page displays a big Flash
screen, and only clicking on a special link proceeds to the main page.
I never visit such sites because this is very annoying.  It's a pity that
Emacs does the same.

In summary, displaying the startup screen when the user requests
to display a file does more harm than good.

>       In case people don't agree on that, the splash
>     screen should at least mention how to enter the buffer.
>
> That is a good point.  We should make this easier.  Maybe typing SPC
> on the splash screen should bury or kill it.  Also, we should say how
> to do this, if we can fit it in.

It is not a question what key is better to type to get rid of the
startup screen.  It is the fact that the user explicitly requested
visiting a file but instead of this Emacs displays the screen that
the user have already seen thousand times.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/