Re: Need for a Emacs regression test suite

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Need for a Emacs regression test suite
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 16:06:14 -0400

    >      The various changes getting into Emacs and number of things breaking
    >     sporadically, IMO we need to have a regression suite. A collection
    >     batch mode scripts and macros to test the GUI invocation.
    >
    > I don't see how that is possible, but if you know a way to do it,
    > please do it.

    I will start looking into the XEmacs testing framework.

Is this a test of programming constructs or a test for GUI usage?
Regression tests for programming constructs are a usual thing, and I
have no doubt that is possible for Emacs.  I think it would be good
for someone to find the people we should ask for papers, so that we
can use the one in XEmacs.

But the suggestion was "to test the GUI invocation".  I don't see how
regression tests for that could possibly work.  Does XEmacs' testing
framework apply to user input operations?