Re: 22.1.50; [ERC] erc-default-port should be an integer or a string ser

From: Luca Capello
Subject: Re: 22.1.50; [ERC] erc-default-port should be an integer or a string service (not a string number)
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 20:38:05 +0200

Hi Michael!

Please Cc: me, I'm not subscribed to address@hidden

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't know that emacs-pretest-bug@ is
redirected to emacs-devel@ [1].

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 03:35:09 +0200, Michael Olson wrote:
> Luca Capello <address@hidden> writes:
>> This is because erc-default-port (lisp/erc/erc.el:1463) defines the
>> port number as a string, thus breaking socks-find-services-entry
>> (lisp/net/socks.el:551).
>
> Thanks for the report.  I've fixed this in upstream ERC, and will merge
> to Emacs trunk shortly.

Thanks for the quick fix.

> I decided to use the number 6667 instead of a string.  The reason
> that we don't want to use ircd there is that Mac OS X is unable to
> look up that particular service (IIRC).  I remember getting at least
> one report about it.

Well, I remember that I searched in the ERC upstream repository [3] to
check if it was already fixed there or not, where I discovered "ircd"
instead of the port number.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

Footnotes:
[1] AFAIK there's no mention of that at [2] nor when someone perform
      M-x report-emacs-bug
[2] http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo
[3] of which I forgot the address, sorry