Re: .emacs-settings.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: .emacs-settings.el
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 15:53:32 -0400

    Then why don't use similar names in Emacs?  If the package name will
    remain project.el, then name the data file .project.el (the extension .el
    says that this data file is for Emacs, and the leading dot says that
    it's a configuration file).  If the package will be renamed to settings.el,
    then name the data file .settings.el.

If you're talking about the file name in which the code for this feature
will be installed, that will be `files.el'.

But that's irrelevant to the question at hand.  We don't choose user
interface details based on internal implementation details.

I want to use a dotfile, to keep the directory uncluttered
and to avoid constraining names of source files.  (That is the
usual purpose of dotfiles.)  If the file name ends in `.el',
then there is no need to say `emacs' in it too.  So I think
`.dirvars.el' is a good name.

I do not want to use a non-dotfile name
because that could conflict with the user's own files.

If you want to make that file more visible, make a symlink to it
with a non-hidden name.