Re: 23.0.50; MacOS X 10.4: very slow visuals, multi-tty patch suspected

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; MacOS X 10.4: very slow visuals, multi-tty patch suspected
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 21:45:34 -0500

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 13:16:32 -0700 Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> wrote:

DN> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>> On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 11:43:15 -0700 Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
DN> Look for a long thread in the past few weeks with the subject
DN> "CVS HEAD fails to build on OSX 10.4"
>>
>> I looked at the thread more carefully.  Chad Brown reported a very
>> specific issue exactly like the one I experienced, with the symptom
>> being that keypresses are handled very slowly, but he couldn't debug it
>> further because Emacs crashed.  Mitsuharu commented in the thread:
>>
>> > As multi-tty no longer does `FD_SET (0, &input_wait_mask)' in
>> > process.c, if no `add_keyboard_wait_descriptor' calls are made, then
>> > Carbon Emacs reads events from the window system only rarely via
>> > polling with SIGALRM and becomes very unresponsive as reported.
>>
>> Mitsuharu, can you tell us if you think this problem can be solved
>> easily?  Regardless of the state of the Carbon/Cocoa/etc ports, I'd like
>> to have something that works in the CVS Emacs for MacOS users.  Can we
>> just reintroduce that FD_SET call, or will that break other things?
>> Should we increase the frequency of the SIGALRM polling instead?

DN> Can you try to do what the comment in the code says: add a call to
DN> add_keyboard_wait_descriptor? Probably mac_term_init is the place to
DN> do that.

I added:

  int desc = 0;
  printf("Setting up FD %d\n", desc);
  /* replacing the call FD_SET (0, &input_wait_mask) from process.c */
  add_keyboard_wait_descriptor(desc);

before, during, and after the BLOCK_INPUT/UNBLOCK_INPUT portion, and it
didn't help.  Input was still very slow.  I put in the printf to be sure
the function was running.  If I'm missing something, let me know please.

Ted