Re: 23.0.50; MacOS X 10.4: very slow visuals, multi-tty patch suspected

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; MacOS X 10.4: very slow visuals, multi-tty patch suspected
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 12:33:41 -0500

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 10:15:17 -0700 Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> wrote:

DN> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>> On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 09:10:09 -0700 Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
DN> No, it would be much more complex that just simply fixing the mac
DN> port. I think the input processing is simply not initialized
DN> correctly/completely. My guess is that it would be a few lines of code
DN> to fix this. But someone that cares about that platform would need to
DN> do the work.
>>
>> I think caring about MacOS shouldn't matter.

DN> Why not? Please explain.

You said this was "more complex than just fixing the mac port."  I
understood it to mean that this is not necessarily just a MacOS bug, and
thus should not matter only to those who care about MacOS.  If I
misunderstood, sorry.  Also see below.

>> If the multi-tty merge brought in input processing bugs that are
>> only visible on MacOS, that doesn't mean they are only happening
>> on MacOS.

DN> Can you please explain what are you implying here?

Just because *any* bug only shows up on MacOS doesn't necessarily mean
it only happens on MacOS, or that it only matters on MacOS.  You seem to
be saying that is the case for this particular bug.  I'm sure you know
the internals much better than me, but you haven't said that it's known
to only matter on MacOS so I'm not assuming it.  You said it was
reported before, that's all.  I actually couldn't find that previous bug
report, so if you could point me to it I'd appreciate it.

Ted