RE: display-completion-list should not strip text properties

From: Davis Herring
Subject: RE: display-completion-list should not strip text properties
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 15:46:29 -0700 (PDT)

> 1. Let's accept Johan's fix for `describe-variable'.

Of course.

> I proposed "mumble \\(...) titi". Juri proposed "mumble \\,... titi"
> instead, for consistency with query-replace. I have no problem with either
> syntax, and perhaps someone has another suggestion.
>
> I also proposed a shortcut for face application, which I expect will be a
> common use case for this feature: "mumble \\#highlight toto# titi" instead
> of "mumble \\,(propertize "toto" 'face 'highlight) titi" (using Juri's
> syntax). And I suggested that a similar shortcut might be added for image
> insertion.

I'd extend this \# syntax to support other text properties by having
\#(prop value ...) text# mean (propertize "text" 'prop 'value '...), and
of course have \#value text# imply \#(highlight value) text#.  I think
with that extension so much could be handled that perhaps the hairiness of
general sexp-inclusion could be avoided, and no " need escaping.  However,
I am not sure whether it would be better to eval the values when they are
given in an explicit plist: that might work better for tooltips and such.

Davis

shipping.