Re: mention risky local variables "!" choice

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: mention risky local variables "!" choice
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 15:35:00 -0700 (PDT)

>>    Some variables, such as `load-path', are considered particularly
>> "risky": there is seldom any reason to specify them as local
>> variables, and changing them can be dangerous. ****> Emacs will not
>> prompt with "!" in this case, and even if you enter it, <**** Emacs
>> will not record any values as safe for these variables.
>
> When Emacs does not prompt with !, you can't enter it. This is so
> self-explanatory as to not be worth documenting.
>
> If there are both risky and unsafe variables, it does prompt with !,
> but that only applies to the unsafe variables. This non-trivial case
> is what the current manual refers to, quite clearly I think.

It seems that the manual should instead say that ! does not apply to such
variables, and that if those variables are the only ones under
consideration (that is, there are no _unsafe_ variables), that ! isn't
even an input option (as it would be, perhaps unexpectedly, equivalent to
"y").  The bit about "even if you enter it" seems to imply that ! is an
undocumented option there, which I don't think is the intent.

Davis

shipping.