Re: 22.1.50; insert-file-contents is slow under tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: 22.1.50; insert-file-contents is slow under tramp
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 22:37:26 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> Can you tell me which systems allow you to do that?  I know that under *BSD
> there were ways to do that, allowed or not depending on some global setting
> because such user-transfer of file ownership can be a security hole in
> itself.  Basically only `root' can use `chown' on modern POSIX
> systems, AFAIK.

You're right, I've tested under HP-UX 11.11. Here @home, with Ubuntu, it
is not permitted (although the chown man page doesn't mention this
restriction).

Hmm, my proposal would work only when the source file belongs to root,
accessed by Tramp. This is the most important case, though.

Other temporary files, coming from the local host or a remote host,
might be readable for third parties. One could try that all temporary
files are only readable for the local user (who needs to access these
files for insert-file-contents etc), but this must be checked. Copying
without the "-p" option, or so. I will sleep about.

Another idea would be a special temp directory as user option, where the
user is forced to apply 700 permissions for this directory.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.