Re: 22.1.50; insert-file-contents is slow under tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: 22.1.50; insert-file-contents is slow under tramp
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 12:52:35 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> Reminds me: where is the bottleneck in the inline method?  I mean
> fundamentally doing a base64 encoding/decoding shouldn't cost that much
> (negligible CPU-wise and a mere 33% in network transfer).  Maybe we could
> attack this part to improve performance?

The major bottleneck is `accept-process-output', which returns only
small chunks when called again and again. With a `sleep-for' between
two calls, I have improved the performance (but not dramatically).

However, this approach would require to manage when it is desired to
apply `sleep-for', and when not. Most of the commands, Tramp sends to
the remote host, return just one or two lines of output.

I guess it isn't worth the trouble. For local hosts, I have
implemented the fast track (satisfying su and sudo); in all other
cases accessing huge files, scp (or pscp) shall be sufficient.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.