Re: PCL-CVS: `A' removes cvs-mode from buffer *cvs*

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: PCL-CVS: `A' removes cvs-mode from buffer *cvs*
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 23:12:03 +0200

On Sat, Aug 25 2007, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> Now, for the first time, I saw it on GNU/Linux as well.
>
> OK.  So at least we know it's not specific to Windows.

Yes.

>> | Wrote [...]/cvs-EMACS_22_BASE/emacs/lisp/ChangeLog
>> | (No files need saving)
>> | Running cvs update ...
>> | add-change-log-entry-other-window: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer
>> *cvs*[emacs/lisp]<2>>
>> | Saving file [...]/cvs-EMACS_22_BASE/emacs/lisp/ChangeLog...
>> | Wrote [...]/cvs-EMACS_22_BASE/emacs/lisp/ChangeLog
>> | error in process sentinel: cvs-sentinel: Symbol's value as variable is
>> void: cvs-cookies
>> | error in process sentinel: Symbol's value as variable is void: cvs-cookies
>> | Mark set [3 times]
>> | insert-for-yank: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *cvs*[emacs/lisp]<2>>
>> | Mark set
>> | insert-for-yank: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *cvs*[emacs/lisp]<2>>
>> | Mark set
>> | insert-for-yank: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *cvs*[emacs/lisp]<2>>
[...]
> Could you tell me what you've done during the above time, in which order.
> Ideally correlate the above messages with the actions you've taken?

I'm afraid I don't remember everything.  I should have looked at
`view-lossage', but I forgot.

> It looks like you've first run cvs(-mode)?-update, then hit A while the
> update was running, then what?  When did the above messages show up?

>From my memory, maybe not quite correct: I wanted to commit my patch
to `pcvs.el'.

> Did you then manually switch to the ChangeLog buffer

Not sure, either I did `M-x add-change-log-entry-other-window RET' (in
`pcvs.el' or the diff buffer) or `A' in the *cvs* buffer.

> edit it and save it (causing the message about saving/writing
> emacs/lisp/ChangeLog?).

Then probably saved it and later realized that it wasn't up to date,
so I removed my modification, saved and ran cvs-update.  I think then
(as you say before it completed?) I tried `A', being curious if the
bug kicks in, expecting it doesn't.

> Let's hope it catches it next time,

I added it to my init files.

Bye, Reiner.