Re: merging etc

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: merging etc
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 20:45:21 -0400

    Richard also said he wants the multi-tty changelogs "crunched" before
    merging -- i.e., essentially replacing many historical entries for a
    given function/variable by a single entry for it with all the changes
    (or in the case of a new function/variable, all entries for it except
    "New function/variable" can be dropped entirely).  I'm not sure how
    this is supposed to work for multiple authors changing the same
    function.... (one changelog entry per author?).

That is one way to do it.

    That seems like a daunting task given the size of the logs though...

I think that anyone here could do it in a few hours.
But it doesn't have to be done all by one person.

How about checking in a copy of the whole change log
(since the branch was forked) in a separate file in each directory?
That way, various people can contribute to simplifying it.