Re: CVS update fails

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: CVS update fails
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 11:43:52 -0400

>> I just tried to update from CVS and it failed.  I did `M-x
>> cvs-examine' the `M' to mark all files, the `O' and got the messages
>> at the bottom of this post.  When I type `O' the attached single line
>> was inserted into the *cvs* buffer above the file listing:

> I was wrong, the update didn't fail.  The error message led me to
> believe it had failed but the files were in fact updated.  When I ran
> cvs-examine again just now, only a few files needed to be updated and
> the inserted command line was correspondingly brief.  I guess I had
> never run cvs-examine with so many (all?) files needing to be updated
> (new arch tag or what?).  So that is evidently what caused the error
> message:

Rather than mark all the files, you can just use `O' with *no marks* and
with point on the directory you want to update.  Better yet: M-u will update
the toplevel directory on the *cvs* buffer no matter what marks you've
placed.  Updating file-by-file is generally not what you want because it'll
miss the new files/directories.

        Stefan