Re: Strange change in backquote expansion

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Strange change in backquote expansion
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 12:36:07 -0400

> On a related issue, the Lisp manual says that the old syntax with an
> extra level of parens around the args of backquote and comma is still
> supported for compatibility with versions before 19.29.

> Since 19.29 was 12 years ago, I think it is time to delete the
> documentation of that compatibility feature.  Does anyone object?

I believe the old syntax is still used in some of the bundled packages, not
to mention the unbundled ones.

I think if we want to ever get rid of the old syntax, we'll have to do
something stronger than just declare it obsolete.  Maybe breaking it is the
solution, but maybe something halfway would be preferable.

        Stefan