Re: cperl mode comments still parsed and colored

From: Randal L. Schwartz
Subject: Re: cperl mode comments still parsed and colored
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 10:37:09 -0700

>>>>> "jidanni" == jidanni  <address@hidden> writes:

jidanni> bla /m #-*-cperl-*-
jidanni> #h /Delivery
jidanni> # address@hidden

jidanni> #Save this message body into a file bla.pl and do emacs -Q bla.pl, to
jidanni> #see more of my discoveries which I hereby report as bugs. Real
jidanni> #comment color is [this color]. Above you can see I have tricked cperl
jidanni> #mode into making things in comments render in non comment colors.
jidanni> #Syntax errors or not, like address@hidden

You've got gibberish there.  I could see Perl trying to parse that as

  bla (function, taking arguments...)
  / (begin of regex)
  m #-*-cperl-*- (content of regex)

so it's not a comment yet.

If you can show a reasonable Perl program that breaks, it'd be much
more interesting.  Gibberish in, Gibberish out.

It's like you'd claim that:

q{   # this is a comment

when in fact it's not a comment.  It's part of a single-quoted string.
Don't be naive about Perl if you're going to report bugs in cperl-mode.

<address@hidden> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>