Re: address@hidden: Emacs 22.1 hung after delete-process]

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Emacs 22.1 hung after delete-process]
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 09:02:53 +0100

Glenn Morris wrote:
> Or is the issue that trying to trap SIGHUP somehow creates an hung
> perl process on Windows? Is delete-process supposed to be graceful in
> such cases?

It seems to. Windows does not have real signals, so both perl and Emacs
are translating those to whatever the respective developers thought was
the closest equivalent in Windows. When Emacs tries to delete the
process, a Windows dialog pops up saying that the process is not
stopping, and asking if you'd like to forcibly kill it. I got as far
last night as tracking it down to the status_message call on line 6805
of process.c. A breakpoint after that line was never reached, but a
breakpoint on that line was, and if you killed the process before
continuing, Emacs would not hang.