Re: Scratch buffer annoyance

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Scratch buffer annoyance
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 08:13:57 +0200

>     In fact, people thought this so desirable that we have
>
>       * Changes in Emacs 21.2
>
>       [...]
>
>       ** When the *scratch* buffer is recreated, its mode is set from
>       initial-major-mode, which normally is lisp-interaction-mode,
>       instead of using default-major-mode.
>
>     I would like to retain the ability to do this, though I agree that
>     "initial-major-mode" is a completely misleading name for it under the
>     new startup design and should become a deprecated alias (do we have
>     that?) for something more fitting.
>
> We could have something like auto-mode-alist
> for buffer names.

That was my first thought, too, and I looked for something like that
in vain.

auto-mode-buffer-alist or something.

We could even misuse auto-mode-alist as a last-resort fallback here:
buffer names corresponding to already checked file names won't match,
anyway, and the buffer names not associated with files usually start
with "*" or " *", and it is very unlikely we'll ever need to match a
file name like that.

And, after all, it is called auto-mode-alist and not
auto-filename-mode-alist.

--
David Kastrup