Re: Releasing Emacs 22.2

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Releasing Emacs 22.2
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 09:54:57 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I hope to release Emacs 22.2 in a few weeks,
>>     I hope there was a "a pretest of" missing above.
>
>> I am not sure a pretest is needed, with a few new packages and a few
>> dozen bug fixes.  But it can't hurt.  However, all that is a side
>> issue.
>
> The new VC backends are all activated, so their code is executed every time
> a file is opened: there's a good chance that some bug in there will
> cause problems.  I've just fixed such a bug in vc-bzr yesterday.
>
>> The main point is that people need to fix the bugs
>> in order to make Emacs 22.2 possible at all.
>

>         Stefan
>

> PS: of course, we could disable the new VC backend by default, so as to
> avoid those risks.

I am against it.  I think that 22.1 has been good enough that the
tradeoff between release cycles and quality should not get out of
hand.  We should not miss the change to get some Emacs with packages
corresponding to the state of software development of 2007 out and get
people excited about Emacs again before tackling the architectual
changes and corresponding release cycles.

--
David Kastrup