Re: isearch-yank-word-or-char

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: isearch-yank-word-or-char
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 19:47:09 +0300

> FWIW, I like the new behaviour, it gives me more control. I mostly use
> the C-w binding when I want to search for a procedure name, and
> sometimes it ends with a number of underscores, like this:
>
> PROCEDURE Do_The_Stuff___ (foo IN NUMBER) IS
>
> Previously, having point at D, when using C-w, using it three times
> to "eat" the last f in "Stuff", if typed once more it ate I think all the
> way to foo. Now three extra C-w eats all the underscores, which is
> what I want, most of the times. I have never thought about the new
> behaviour as being cumbersome.

Now the need to collect non-word characters by C-w is mitigated by two
keybindings C-M-w and C-M-y that removes/adds one character.  So with
C-w overshoot you can remove or add more characters with these keys.

And note that even with new heuristic, C-w doesn't do what you want.
According to your description you want to put the whole identifier to the
search string, so you probably wish a single key like C-M-f to grab the
whole expression.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/