Re: tramp no longer recognizes when remote files changed

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp no longer recognizes when remote files changed
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 10:53:09 +0200

Sascha Wilde <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi *,

Hi,

> when a buffer visits a file that gets changes outside of Emacs the
> user is warned the next time he tries to alter the buffer in question:
>
>   foo changed on disk; really edit the buffer? (y, n, r or C-h)
>
> This extremely useful feature used to work with tramp and remote
> files, too.  Now some time (days?) ago it stopped working, if I edit a
> remote file that changed in the meantime on disk I get no warning, and
> if I save the buffer all changes made outside of my Emacs session are
> silently lost.

That's the price ...

Tramp 2.1, brought to Emacs trunk some weeks ago, caches file
information in order to speed up. It uses cached information for
example when `file-attributes' is called, and cannot recognize
external file changes therefore.

Maybe one could introduce an option whether such caches shall be used,
or not. Tramp checks already `file-precious-flag' when it copies files
(if set, Tramp applies "cksum" on both the source and target files in
order to recognize errors). It could also stop using cached
information in such a case - slowing down performance ...

> Cheers
> sascha

Best regards, Michael.