Re: A system for localizing documentation strings

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: A system for localizing documentation strings
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 17:29:44 +0900

On 27 juil. 07, at 14:04, Richard Stallman wrote:

Because as soon as we have a system that allows for localization we
    can expect to have "native" code written and so we'll have to
reference the source language that _will_ be different from English.

We aim to discourage that.  The primary language of GNU implementation
is English. All functions should be documented in English, in addition
to whatever other languages are supported.

If someone's English doc string is not well written, that's as if the
code were not well written.  Someone will suggest an improvement.

I am sorry if what I wrote was unclear.

I understand that GNU software is English based, just like the GPL license is valid only in English.

I have no specific problem with that.

What I intended to propose was a generic system to localize elisp files/elisp systems.

Such a system would directly benefit emacs, of course, since emacs is the main provider of elisp code. And since emacs is English based it makes perfect sense to provide a system that is backward compatible with the current "English only" system.

But the system should not "hardcode" English=default into its behavior (ie by not identifying English with a language code etc). It is very conceivable that emacs extensions are created for a specific "market" that corresponds to a language community and the localization mechanism should provide developers with a way to use their language as their system's default.

Jason had it right:

That is the way it must be for any globally used software. Perhaps as a Frenchman living in Japan you feel that is unfair, but the fact is that
    English is the most widely understood language there is.

Which assertion do you refer to ?

1) Since emacs started from an English speaking community (as a lot of major software packages, like MS Office for example) I suppose the practical way to deal with localization does involve starting from English. I have nothing against that.

2) As a Frenchman living in Japan and in Japanese, and having a fair command of English I don't think it is unfair at all, but in a number of cases there are practical considerations that make English centered processes a waste of time: some elisp code may be designed with a relatively limited scope and technically forcing the use of English because elisp=emacs=GNU seems a little far fetched.

3) Such a postulate shows little understanding of what "freedom" means, especially in the context of technology. It also shows little understanding of the necessity of native language computer literacy activities to reach the goals set by the FSF in particular.

Jean-Christophe Helary