Suggestion for mouse-based cut/copy/yank

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Suggestion for mouse-based cut/copy/yank
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:09:50 +0200

Hi,

I often mark material with the mouse using triple clicks (whole
lines).  The double click right on the last line for deletion works
fine and intuitively and makes it easy to deal with whole lines.

However, when yanking with a click, material is yanked right at point
rather than at the start of line.

That is a nuisance.  So I think it would be nice to store the
"granularity" of a mouse click/mark away and use it to move to begin
of word/line before yanking.  Maybe the best way would be to use a
yank-handler property on the string in question.  It is likely that it
is ok to have this work with keyboard-controlled yanks from
mouse-collected kill material, too.

For what it is worth, vi has "p" and "P" commands for inserting
material after and before the cursor (which perversely is not between,
but _on_ characters and lines conceptually), and those also heed the
"line-basedness" of the commands putting the stuff in the kill buffer.

It is actually quite convenient.

--
David Kastrup