Re: Better language detection for tutorial

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Better language detection for tutorial
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 11:29:48 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> > From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
> > CC: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> > Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 13:48:14 +0900
> >
> > In article <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > > Examining the environment variables in different order and with
> > > different logic, to determine the language environment.
> >
> > Impossible.  Emacs doesn't have a language environment that
> > matches with his request.

> Which is what?  I thought it was simply English.

No.  His locale settings are this:

LANG=en_US
address@hidden
LC_MESSAGES="en_US"

So, coding-system must be latin-9 (iso-8859-15), but
messages (i.e. tutorial) must be English.

For this case, "Latin-9" language environment may be an
alternative one that will work, but it's just by chance (and
not easy to find it from the above setting).  For instance,
we don't have any alternative lang. env. for this:

LC_CTYPE=ja_JP
LC_MESSAGES="en_US"

---
Kenichi Handa