Re: mode-line with Tramp

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: mode-line with Tramp
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 10:26:55 +1200

 > Currently the double-end arrow pointer shape that indicates the mode-line
 > can be dragged obscures the character underneath.  How about the change
 > below?  I realise that Richard thinks that mixing the mouse and keyboard is
 > bad UI (although Emacs already does this from the menu-bar and, now with
 > vc-mode, from the mode-line with some VC commands) but it changes the
 > pointer shape to a hand and gives functionality consistent with the bindings
 > for the two previous characters on the mode line (mode-line-toggle-read-only
 > and mode-line-toggle-modified) which I think is good UI.

This drew no response.  The patch assigned mouse-1 over the mode-line flag for
default-directory to "cd", i.e., to change default-directory.  Assuming it was
unfavourable because it mixed the mouse and keyboard, how about extending
use-file-dialog, which applies to commands from menus and tool bar buttons, to
commands from the mode-line also?  That way default-directory could be changed
with the mouse alone.