Re: pp-eval-expression enhancements

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: pp-eval-expression enhancements
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 18:02:15 -0400

>> > I use `pp-eval-expression' because it decides pretty well, IMO:
>> > if the result is more than it would make sense to show in the
>> > echo area, then it's likely that I want to do something with
>> > the result, so it puts it in a separate buffer, in the right mode.
>>
>> > I find the heuristic is uses pretty handy. I never need to fish
>> > the result out of *Messages*
>>
>> I never need such fishing, I always use the C-u prefix arg for that.

> You apparently always (1) know ahead of time that you want to use the
> result, and (2) open an appropriate buffer ahead of time, to capture the
> pasted result.

No.  I always do something like:

  M-: <something> RET

then look at the result and think "oh I could do <mumble>" so I go where
I need the thing inserted and then do

  C-u M-: M-p RET

Works just dandy.

> In addition, I sometimes use `M-:' on the fly during minibuffer completion
> (in Icicles, `M-:' is bound in the minibuffer keymaps to
> `pp-eval-expression'). It is quite convenient to have the result displayed
> in another buffer, for examination or editing and copying. I often use `M-:'
> the same way one would use `C-h f', `C-h k', and `C-h F': to get information
> about something. I use both kinds of information during minibuffer input.

That's a separate issue, I believe.  Most uses of `message' should be made
more careful so that they do something more clever if used from within
the minibuffer.

        Stefan