Re: Scratch buffer annoyance

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Scratch buffer annoyance
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 21:12:43 +0300

>> [Visit home directory]
>> [Open new file]
>> [Open buffer for notes you don't want to save]
>> [Emacs Tutorial]
>> [Emacs FAQ]
>> [Read the Emacs Manual]
>
> This is a mighty good idea!
>
> Thinking in beginner scenarios it might be better to change the
> sequence to
>
>  [Open new file]
>  [Visit home directory]

In the latest patch, the order is the following:

[Create New File]        Visit new file.
[Visit Home Directory]   Visit home directory.
[Visit *scratch* Buffer] Visit buffer for notes you don't want to save,
                         and for Lisp evaluation.

This seems good because [Create New File] is before [Visit *scratch* Buffer],
so when a writer starts writing a story, the first link to click will be
[Create New File], and not [Visit *scratch* Buffer], so he wouldn't lose
his masterpiece.

> with :point on the first entry, a dired view could overwhelm some at
> first, especially from the Windows world.  And when clicking the links
> with the mouse--instead of a keyboard activation--the links reacting
> in the same manner as if activating the commands from the menu-bar
> i.e. with pop-up dialogs etc.

Clicking on [Create New File] pop-ups the File Open dialog in the same way
as clicking [Visit New File] in the File menu.

> And, what others pointed out, an inclusion of a link to the splash
> buffer customisation.  Perfect, I have to say!

In the latest patch, the customization link points to the inhibit-splash-screen,
but later should be changed to customize `visit-on-startup'.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/