Re: Moving homebrewn binaries and question about building documentation

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Moving homebrewn binaries and question about building documentation
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 18:31:33 +0300

> From: Eric Lilja <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 16:56:00 +0200
>
> As you can see I had a trailing / in my INSTALL_DIR so
> install tries to copy like this (just pasting one example):
> cp -f oo-spd/i386/etags.exe c:/emacs//bin
> Notice the double forward slash. It didn't seem to affect copying,
> though, and I will simply remove the trailing slash from INSTALL_DIR in
> my script (I thought it would check for a trailing slash and add one if
> there wasn't one but it seems it adds one regardless).

This is not a problem, as you've found out, but it's better to not
have a trailing slash in INSTALL_DIR.

> Also, I still have many CVS directories in the subdirectories.

Only in etc/ and leim/.  The Unix "make install" removes them after
copying (see the `install:' target in the top-level Makefile.in), but
the Windows build does not want to rely on the utilities required for
that.  If you have them, you can remove those after "make install"
finishes.

> I also
> noticed two empty top-level directories named lock and data,
> respectively. These are not present in the official emacs 22.1 windows
> binary package. Comments?

These are created by two explicit lines in nt/makefile, but I don't
know why.  Anybody?