Re: mode-line with Tramp

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: mode-line with Tramp
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 11:28:54 +1200

 >     Your patch looks reasonable to me. However, I don't feel comfortable
 >     to decide whether we shall install such a change in the modeline.
 >
 > The code looks clean enough, and the feature could be useful.  We can
 > spare one character.  Before deciding on it, I'd like to see reports
 > from some users about whether they find it useful.

Like Juri, I think the reality is that very few will test it.  This might
not be the best solution but something needs to be done.  Committing such
changes to the trunk ensures that they _are_ tested and if people don't
like them they generally report to the mailing list, e.g., "scratch buffer
annoyances".  I try out very few changes that aren't committed to the
repository but often comment on those that are.  I think many others on this
list do the same.

 > I wonder whether "R" could sometimes get confused with the frame
 > identification.  Usually the frame name won't start with R, but it
 > can.  Maybe this indicator should appear in a different place in the
 > mode line.
 >
 > Before we install this, the changes to the manuals should be written
 > so they can be installed at the same time.

I always try to document changes that I make to Emacs but generally prefer
to do this once the change has been finalised.  Other projects, e.g GDB,
make documentation a requirement for patch approval.  Emacs seems to be
quite inconsistent, however, with each contributor providing different levels
of documentation, e.g., there have been many changes to VC recently but I
see nothing in the manual to reflect this, e.g, the manual says
vc-handled-backends  is `(RCS CVS SVN SCCS Arch MCVS)', Emacs tells me it's
(RCS CVS SVN SCCS BZR HG Arch MCVS)