Re: Scratch buffer annoyance

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Scratch buffer annoyance
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 20:55:28 +0200

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> That would be documented in the splash screen.  Right now when a new
> user does anything (click the mouse, hit a key) when emacs starts up,
> the splash screen vanishes and you get the unwelcoming text of the
> scratch buffer.  Using C-c C-q to make the scratch buffer writable is
> not required to use emacs; it is there for those who wish to have a
> scratch buffer.

For what it's worth: I think I would like this sort of setup very
much.  It is quite convenient.  However, there is no real logic in
replacing the buffer contents when the buffer is turned r/w, and it
does not address the original problem, namely that people seem to
blindly type into an editor they have started without any options and
complain when their work gets lost in this manner.

Now I personally don't want an "unnamed buffer" for starting stuff,
not least of all because it won't be in a suitable mode for doing so.

If the original splash screen persists read-only, however, it will
beep at any attempt of modifying it, so chances are people will read
what they should do.  If the splash screen offers "open or visit a new
file before starting to type", perhaps it will not be all bad.  And
maybe people will do it.

Sure, it means changing habits, but without a file extension to go by,
Emacs has no useful defaults for a file, anyway.

--
David Kastrup