Re: [Savannah-help-public] Re: firewalls blocking CVS

From: dhruva
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] Re: firewalls blocking CVS
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 10:32:19 +0530

Hello,
Thank you very much for a detailed explaination of the comlexities
involved in providng such a service.
I have no direct way to find out the reason due to which CVS port
(2401) is blocked. The earlier companies I worked for blocked that as
part of blocking a whole lot of ports. I could not find any particular
reason. The answer I usually got was, "if you do not need it, we do
not provide it". I had to respect their decision as Emacs was not a
requirement for my official work. In another firm, I was able to
convince them to an extent. They allowed me (just me) access to a
computer which was directly connected to the internet bypassing the
local firewall, that does not happen too often. In my current work
place, we use CVS internally. Maybe, that is the reason for preventing
the that port for external access. From what little I know, a version
control system is another form of easy means to deposit data
(versioned). May be, there exists a paranoid feaar that someone may
start depositing versioned copies of compay source code! Not sure
though.
Due to all these restrictions, I ended up developing my own tool
"cvsget.pl" which got hosted on Savannah under non-gnu tools (it does
suffer in fundamental design) grown out of frustration by being
controlled by restrictive firewalls (in 2 days!). That used the
ViewCVS web front end and a command line based web (HTTP) downloader.
The reason I bring up this topic is I find many companies/corporates
blocking CVS port. I do not want to argue either for or against it as
it is their resource and expected to be used purly for their own
benefit. Since there are a bunch of SCM that allow access (read only)
using the standard ports, it makes it a whole lot easier for us to
work on it during normal hours. Also, I use Emacs mainly at work, I
prefer to build it and use it on my work machine rather than at home
(I get very little time at home and hence even switching on the
computer at home is almost ruled out!).
Currently, I am using the Emacs CVS mirror on mercurial (hg). That
works on port 80 (read only) and I get to follow the mainstream Emacs
development.