Re: Syncing Gnus and Emacs repositories

From: Daiki Ueno
Subject: Re: Syncing Gnus and Emacs repositories
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:43:14 +0900

>     > Indeed I (the author) did abandoned pgg*.el, and the Gnus trunk does
>     > not use them by default.

> Why doesn't it?  Since pgg*.el are now a standard part of Emacs, it
> makes sense for Gnus to use them.

Because that is the only advantage of PGG.  I'm aware of many
limitations of PGG.

- PGG can't handle a message signed with multiple keys.
- PGG can't prompt a user which key is being used.
- PGG can't create a binary PGP messages.
- PGG doesn't provide a way to select keys per cryptographic operation.
- PGG ignores GnuPG's trust metrics.
- PGG can't integrate well with mail-mode.
- etc.

Frankly, (at least) I don't want to extend PGG to support these issues,
because that requires almost rewrite of the slightly outdated code
(actually, PGG is my first elisp program written about 10 years ago ;-)

> What does it use instead?

EasyPG.  If it is available, Gnus automatically detects it.

>     If it is possible, let's just move to easypg, of which Daiki is also the
>     author.

> That is a much bigger change, which we'd have to think about.

I think that is not so big change.  Because it requires just 7 files
(epg*.el, epa*.el) to be included.

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno