Re: GC: cons sweeping and cons block size

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: GC: cons sweeping and cons block size
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 21:29:47 -0400

    On some systems, large malloc blocks go directly to MMAP_ANONYMOUS and
    so fragmentation worries are eliminated.  I don't see any support for
    direct use of mmap() in gmalloc.c, though.

Allocation of buffer contents has code to use mmap.
I don't think anything else Emacs allocates is likely to be very large.

(In GNU we reject the Unix convention of writing `()' after a function
name.  `mmap()' is not a function, it is a function call with no
arguments.)