Re: source repository

From: Masatake YAMATO
Subject: Re: source repository
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 19:11:48 +0900 (JST)

>   > > From: Paul Pogonyshev <address@hidden>
>   > > Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 15:14:16 +0300
>   > > Cc: Jason Rumney <address@hidden>
>   > >
>   > > > You understood incorrectly. Some developers use arch, but the
> definitive
>   > > > repository for Emacs is CVS. Since Miles is away at the moment, the
> arch
>   > > > synching is not happening. I'm not sure why savannah lists arch above
>   > > > cvs (probably it is alphabetical order), but it is misleading - there
>   > > > should be some indication there that the main repository is CVS.
>   > >
>   > > Oh.  A pity Emacs still uses so old system.
>   >
>   > Why should we care how old it is, if it suits our needs?  We are not
>   > exactly spoiled by abundance of free resources to invest effort in
>   > jobs that are ``nice to have''.  Just think how many man-hours will be
>   > wasted if every Emacs developer and contributor will have to install,
>   > learn, and set up an unfamiliar configuration management package.
>
> Well, one thing that is missing in emacs right now for most version
> control is something similar to PCL-CVS. That would make life much
> easier for emacs developers not really familiar with a particular
> version control system. And on top of that, it would be extremely
> useful for all emacs users.

DVC does similar to PCL-CVS for distributed version control systems.
I was working on the xtla, the ancestor of DVC.

  http://dl.gna.org/dvc/

I was interested in merge DVC to GNU Emacs. However, these days, I am
busy and I get interests to extend vc-dired, so I've just asked DVC
developers to assign another people for working on the merging task.

Masatake YAMATO