GC: cons sweeping and cons block size

From: Jonathan Yavner
Subject: GC: cons sweeping and cons block size
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 16:22:09 -0400

> malloc()'ing 1K-aligned 1K-block is cheaper than 4K-aligned 4K-block,
> and the latter allocation probably tends to a higher heap
> fragmentation.

On some systems, large malloc blocks go directly to MMAP_ANONYMOUS and
so fragmentation worries are eliminated.  I don't see any support for
direct use of mmap() in gmalloc.c, though.  Should we consider it?
OS-specific code is needed -- Windoze calls it VirtualAlloc(), while
MacOS calls it vm_alloc().