Re: insert-file-contents and format-decode

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: insert-file-contents and format-decode
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 00:24:23 -0400

    !     /* Suppose replace is non-nil and we succeeded in not replacing the
    !     beginning or end of the buffer text with the file's contents.  In this
    !     case we neverthelss have to call format-decode with `point' positioned
    !     at the beginning of the buffer

I think that's a bug.  Point has to be at the beginning of the
inserted text.  If you put it at the beginning of the buffer,
the decoding functions have no way to determine what text
was just inserted, so they can't possibly do the job.

The same goes for the Vafter_insert_file_functions.
It is the only way to make that case work.

If that conflicts with documentation, then the documentation
has to be corrected.

    !       else
    !   /* In the visiting case restore the previous value. */
    !   current_buffer->undo_list = old_undo;

When visiting a file, you should set undo_list to t
if it was t before, otherwise to nil.