Re: Errors in timers

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Errors in timers
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 22:49:35 +0200

Andreas Schwab wrote:
"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:

How is errors in timers supposed to be handled? It looks like those errors
are only seen if you set debug-on-signal.

Timer functions are run inside condition-case, so error are caught and
ignored.  See timer-event-handler.

Yes, I do not remember exactly why it was added now, but I think it would be very good to be able to see the errors to. Currently the only way is to set debug-on-signal to t and that is a real sledge hammer.

As I see it it would be good to take care of this individually for different timers.

I have no proposal for exactly how. The need might be a bit different from when running a function directly. Timers can for example be run repeatedly and maybe the fail sometimes and otherwise perform well. Stopping them with a trace back might not be that good then. Perhaps some kind of logging is better in such cases.

I myself currently put a highlighted traceback in the message buffer and give a single message line to the user about that.