Re: Proposal for a 22.2/trunk development model (was: Syncing Gnus and E

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Proposal for a 22.2/trunk development model (was: Syncing Gnus and Emacs repositories)
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 16:40:18 -0400

Please forgive me for taking so long to respond to your message.

    Here is a proposal that would still achieve the same goal, with the
    added advantage that it would get us closer to a future 23.1 release
    at a higher speed:
     * open the trunk for any new development
       Now, during the summer, is a very good time to allow for more
       development to happen: a lot of people have more free time, we'd
       want them to use that time for emacs as much as possible.

The trunk is open now for nearly all new development.
For instance, I hope we will merge the multi-tty branch in a few days.

The only exception is unicode-2, but that exception won't last long.
I hope we will make a 22.2 release in a few weeks; after that, we
could merge unicode-2 also.

Now, turning to your suggestion:

     * ask for 2-3 (or more) volunteers that would:
         - backport all the changes that you'd consider important from
         trunk to the 22.x branch
         - develop fixes for bugs that only occur on the 22.x branch
         - analyze the reported 22.1 bugs and fix them or ask for help to
         fix them
         - ask you to stop all development on the trunk until some critical
         bug is fixed on the branch.

You proposed this as a way to get the trunk open for new development
by everyone else.  It isn't needed for that purpose, but it would
be useful for the sake of making the Emacs 22.2 release without delays.

Actually it is just a matter of fixing the bugs that are reported.

Would people like to volunteer for this?