Re: Patch to make VC annotate async

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Patch to make VC annotate async
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 12:05:33 -0600

>     However, it turns out that changing vc-svn.el to annotate in the
>     background does not work -- in my test case (a file in GCC), the
>     annotation is truncated before the end of the file.  I'm not sure what
>     is going on here.

rms> This reminds me of other bugs we have seen, and struggled with, over
rms> the years.  Thus, investigating this is very important.  Can you post
rms> precisel directions so that others can try to reproduce it?

Sure.  My current test case is somewhat complicated, unfortunately:

* Apply the patch I sent.

* Build and install Emacs.

* Check out GCC svn trunk.  You probably don't need all of it; the
  test file I use is gcc/c-parser.c.

* Run the new Emacs with -q

* Visit the test file and "C-x v g" as a test, to make sure it is
  working correctly.

* Eval this redefinition:

(defun vc-svn-annotate-command (file buf &optional rev)
  (vc-svn-command buf 'async file "annotate" (if rev (concat "-r" rev))))

  This changes a 0 to 'async.

* "C-x v g" again on the test file.  For me this reliably cuts off the
  output at the same place, before the file's end.

Tom