Re: A wish, a plea

From: Hacksaw
Subject: Re: A wish, a plea
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 13:18:03 -0400

Sascha Wilde wrote:
Hacksaw <address@hidden> wrote:
My preference would be for scratch to actually save everything. Don't
treat it like mere workspace to be tossed when you figure something
out, treat it as a fairly limitless notebook in which you can record
your ideas, try out things, and hopefully never lose anything you
didn't explicitly erase. I would make it autosave fairly often, like
after an eval, as well as after 250 characters, and such
[...]

If I understand your idea right, that would mean making no changes to
the semantics of *scratch* at all, with the one exception of
preserving the content of *scratch* between Emacs sessions?

I like that idea very much!

You have it right. :-)
And I think it should make everybody happy: those who are worried,
that they might write something important in *scratch* and exit Emacs
without saving could simply restart Emacs again without having lost
anything -- and people like me could keep using *scratch* like they
are used to, without being annoyed by questions about saving changed
content of *scratch*.  The only change for folks like me would be,
that they would want to discard the content of *scratch* from time to
time, but C-x h C-w isn't that hard to type...  (or it could be
arranged in .emacs for those, who want the exact current behavior
back).

Right, and even if people are surprised by the new behavior, it doesn't cause them loss.