RE: propose adding Icicles to Emacs

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: propose adding Icicles to Emacs
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:30:30 -0700

> Command remapping is a way of replacing a command.  This method is
> much cleaner than redefining the function, but still worth avoiding
> when possible.  I think there is no need to replace these commands at
> all, and I want to avoid it.

I already said several times that: 1) users can do without the multi-command
versions and 2) they will not have to, in any case, if you implement your
automatic multi-commandness approach.

>     IIUC, your implementation limits a multi-command to using
>     completion in the `interactive' spec,
>
> I described a way to specify this using `interactive'.  That does not
> mean there are no other interfaces.  It is trivial to have an API
> for this. Having it in `interactive' also is an advantage in simplicity.

It's not clear to me what you have in mind for this API. I have nothing
against your proposal for `interactive', as far as it goes.

>       and (so far), it does not let you provide specific
>     functions for the 4 possible multi-command actions.
>
> Later in the message.

?

Did you intend to send more here?